Wednesday, February 23, 2011

EPIK orientation in Busan, South Korea.

After almost an entire week in Busan, South Korea I have:
a. Learned about 4 Korean words. They are as follows, hello, thank you, here and please. Of these 4 simple words, I have only learned one form of the word because in Korea you must talk to your elders, people who are the same age as you or younger than you differently. I think being a foreigner I have a little leeway when it comes to speaking. 안녕하세요, 감사합니다, 여기에, and 제발 will have to do for now. 
b. 5000 won can buy you dinner, 2 bottles of SOJU liquor and soda, oh I forgot to mention that 5000 won is less than five dollars. We went out with 5 people, bought 2 bottles of SOJU, 3 Cokes and some rice meat combo cooked on the table top skillet for 23000 won which is somewhere below 23 dollars....BINGO
c. Cafeteria food is always cafeteria food no matter the type of food....Korean or American.
d. Rice is part of every meal, including breakfast. Breakfast rice does NOT include eggs...it is plain white rice. 
e. Korean chop sticks are metal kinda like real silverware. 
f. Reading Hangeul (Korean Alphabet) is wayyy easier than pronouncing the Korean sounds. I am pretty sure they speak in sounds and not words....need to double check on that fact.  
g. There is NO such thing as separate shower...it is more like a shower head connected to the sink and hung on the wall of the bathroom. (not our dorm bathroom...just an example)


Those are just some simple things I have learned here in Busan. Orientation is 8 days in Pukyong University. We have not really left the campus of 500 English speaking foreigners, so I have not yet experienced real Korea but so far so good. I have met some amazing people from everywhere (well only English speaking countries). We Americans are the majority followed by either the Canadians or Bristish. Then the South Africans (my new favorite accent) and lastly, the Irish, Australians and New Zealanders. We did however venture out into the adjacent surroundings to party at two western bars and eat non cafeteria Korean food, one called Thursdays bar which host beer pong and the other called the ghetto club. It was fun, I think I met my Korean best friend who was very amused by our dancing.I made a new little group, all of whom are going to Daegu also and joking around we called ourselves the ghetto club. We eat together now haha.

Orientation consist of classes from about 9 am to 8:10 pm with breaks for lunch and dinner. I have been learning a lot about how to be an effective teacher, life in Korea, travel in Korea, the Korean school system and a whole bunch of stuff in between. The main concept is that Korea is DYNAMIC! So when things change unexpectedly or your classes are cancelled just to take things with a grain of salt and be flexible. Remember that Korea follows CONFUCIAN principles(not a religion)such as respect thy elder and boss, man over women things like that. RESPECT is the most important thing in Korean and everyone needs to save face. Always accept a drink from an older person or boss, and use two hands to hand and receive items.  They pretty much give you best and worst case scenerios for every situation because everyone has different experiences here. I guess this experience is what I make it right?! 

On Friday, I move to Daegu, met my co teacher and get my new apartment!!!!!  I was stalked out via the Daegu facebook group because this girl named Jenna is going to be at my school also. She came in August and found out that our school is going to have  more than one native English teacher. I looked through her facebook page and saw her apartment which she thinks I will be moving in next door or across the hall. The elementary school is call Igok Elementary which stands for Pear Valley. The pictures are adorable! My new friends are all jealous because we are not suppose to find out where we are placed until tomorrow and I found out last week or weekend. I am excited about my move to Daegu but I am going to miss this little camp like atmosphere of the university. Most the people seem to be going to Daegu also but my roommate Sophia is going to be staying here in Busan. We have already planned to do temple stays and other trips. Busan has a few beaches so I told her I would live here on the weekends in the summer. I am going to miss sharing a room with her. A LOT!!!!!! I am still trying to get her to change or switch with someone. The majority of people had Busan as their first choice.


Well it is time to go to bed, I think this is the latest I have stayed up in a while (American time included) but we have 12 pm curfew here so even when we go out we have to be back in the dorms...

Side note: KristinTeacher is going to be my new name to the students...apparently it is what they call their teachers or I might be called, simply, teacher.

I would say goodbye in Korean but I have yet to learn how....

1 comment:

  1. Ok, After waiting a few days, I'm still the first to comment. It looks great, Can't wait to follow Love Ya Mom

    ReplyDelete