Sunday, April 24, 2011

Yeoncheon Starlight Festival...

This weekends activity was an overnight trip to the Yeoncheon starlight festival (40 something dollars= everything included). We met our buses at 9 am (two buses of foreigners, mostly from our EPIK group)and head towards Yeoncheon which is between 1 and 2 hours from Daegu. Our first stop was a winery where we tasted 4 types of Korean wine. 
 
We were going to bottle the wine but where a little behind schedule, from wine tasting we went to site of the festival to have lunch. After lunch we were given about 2 hours to enjoy the day part of the festival which included different tents, activities, shows and food. We first made tie dye scarves with natural dye. Then walked around a little bit, tried free samples of more wine and beer. Watched a robotics show and hung out with the other EPIKers (other EPIK teachers). Sophia and I finally tried out first Korean corndog, which is a normal corndog then dipped in a second layer of batter then rolled in french fries and fried. After they fried the second layer + fries they roll it in sugar and ketchup, but I opted out of the ketchup. Our friends called it a corndog donut. It was quite good (and I wonder why Im gaining weight). After the corndog, Sophia and I hung out a little longer with the other foreigners and then made chinese fans with our astrological signs. After we boarded the bus around 4, we went to a temple (I think by the time I leave Korea, I would have been to every temple). We took a group shot and then the monk gave us bracelets.
Took pictures and went to dinner. After dinner, we went back to the festival site because university students had set up their telescopes. We looked through a few telescopes and I saw Saturn. It was orange, you could really see the rings around it. It was pretty sweet. We headed back to our cabins (after stopping for drinks and snacks). We stayed on a campsite, it reminded me of when I was a kid at Camp Letts. There where cabins, a lake and mountains.  I felt like I was home until entering the cabin. We enter and the first thing we see is the living room/kitchen and bathroom so we are all so surprised at how nice the cabin is, it even had a deck. Then we walk into the bedroom and remember that we are in Korea. No beds. It was an empty room with a closet/cabinets. Then we look inside and find our bedding. Pillows, cushions and blankets. The cabin was still pretty sweet. One of the hangwon boys (hangwon= private academy English teacher. EPIKer= public school English teacher) was celebrating a birthday so they made a barbaque between our and their cabins. We celebrated his birthday with cake, food and drinks. An EPIKer also brought marshmallow, chocolate and graham crackers so we made smores. Actually, a few of our EPIK friends are Irish and English so it was their first smore experience.  The next morning we ate breakfast at the camp, I managed to wake up early and run around the lake and up the mountain. After breakfast we went to the ATV site, it was between going ATVing or horseback riding. Everyone chose the ATVs.  It was my first time ATVing. It was so much fun, I really liked going fast over the mounds. My ATV literally flew over the hills. We went through water, up hills and over rocks. I think the ATVs made the trip even more enjoyable. I got a need for speed (Mom you would agree with me when I drive, right?!). We went through the course then did a couple of loops in the entrance of the course. We hung out on the bus because it was a cold/windy and after everyone went ATVing (2 hours later) we went to a museum to eat lunch. We explored the exhibit then headed back to Daegu. Orginially, I believe there was a Daegu city bus tour but everyone was so tired we did no do it. Overall, another great weekend. Not bad for less than 50 dollars, accomadations, food, transport and activities...

No comments:

Post a Comment